ShopSite recently released version 12sp1 of their shopping cart software, and with it comes a host of new features that I’ve been wanting to incorporate for quite a while. For those curious about what new features are in this version, feel free to explore.
One of the hurdles I’m facing is that when I purchased the existing site templates back in 2009 many of the features I needed were not available at that time. Various work arounds were custom coded into the “new” templates, and some streamlined operations. Unfortunately when you custom code, you wind up with legacy bits and incompatibilities with future versions.
One of the bits of custom code was a piece of PHP that reformatted plain text into HTML tables; this greatly sped up production time as anyone could type in the product specifications and the software would pretty it up without having to copy/paste dreamweaver code and hoping someone didn’t format it incorrectly.
Shopsite v12sp1 introduced several new product tags, with PRODUCT.Specifications being the one that primarily interests me at the moment. Since we currently use PRODUCT.Field3 for our existing specifications table plain text, this should be a matter of
- Copy & rename template from appropriate Shopsite theme
- Find relevant PHP code in legacy templates (done)
- Locate PRODUCT.Specifications tag in new template
- Port over PHP code to reflect new changes.
- Update CSS code within legacy PHP to utilize shopsite color tags specified within back ends. Tags identified:
- row2, -> replace with STORE.TableShadowColor?
- Download existing PRODUCT.Field3 data and reimport it to PRODUCT.Specifications field.